Monday, April 16, 2007

Spring 2007

Deadlines have been said to be the best inspiration.
A very busy season of planning is slowly creeping up on me. The deadline of March 9 for the Greene County Council on the Arts, "Journeys in Clay" has come and past. I juried a wonderful show which will I will install the week of June 11. The opening reception is on June 23. The gallery is on Main St. , Windham, NY. It will be there to August 3. Please don't miss it. This is a show that I look forward to every year. The work submitted has gotten better and better.
It has been my pleasure to host a workshop at the Art League of Long Island with Steven Fabrico in March. It began with a reception at my house on Friday evening and continued Saturday and Sunday March 23-24. Steven's outgoing personality contributed to a fabulous workshop. The participants all worked on a sculpture and several other pieces which will be fired and donated to the Art League's fundraiser. We all came away with a wealth of knowledge.
My Handmade Tile workshop has been postponed until the fall. Please look for it in the Art League's brochure.
On April 17-27 I will travel to Switzerland to watch my daughter, Tracie Max Sachs compete in her final races for the year. She has won her Fifth World Cup Globe in Chervenia , Italy this year. This is a record in itself. See her web sight He fastest time is 148.27 mph.
I will be teaching at the Art League of Long Island this spring starting May 1, Tuesdays and Wednesdays. My Tuesday class is a four hour workshop. Enough time to actually think out and make your art. Wednesday class is three hours and is as much fun as Tuesday. These weekly workshops end at the end of June.
On May 8-9 I will be doing a Classic Raku Fire at the Art League of Long Island. We will all gather our bisque pots and glaze on May 8th and fire on May 9th all day 9AM-5PM.
You can all come to see some of my new work at my upstate studio "open house" on August 11-12 . 10AM-4PM. I will be there as part of the Windham Arts Alliance , Artfest 2007. I will share my studio with three other artists. Tracie Max Sachs, Lisajoy Sachs and Sheila Trautman. The Artfest is free and encompasses many other studios and galleries. My studio is located at 630 Rt 17, Jewett, NY 518-734-3179.
September 6-8 brings me to my presentation at "Creations in Clay" conference at the Art League of Long Island. This is part of the Potters Workshops series. I will demonstrate how I build my geometric pots. There will be eight other presenters at this conference. Don't miss this one. I will be curating a wonderful pottery show in conjunction with the conference. It will be in the Jeannie Tengelsen Gallery at the Art League. The presenters work along with the assistants work will be on display and available for sale. If you are interested in a attending the conference, go to www.pottersworkshops.org for information. If you are interested in seeing the exhibit, come to the opening reception on Thursday evening , September 6 , 7PM.
Planning in advance takes a lot of effort and coordination. It is done with passion and energy. If you are reading this, please join me at the conference or at the opening of the exhibit.
Warmest wishes, Ruth