Monday, July 23, 2007

Workshops and Shows

As many of you know, I do special workshops and curate ceramic shows.

During my three day or three week workshops, I teach my method of designing and constructing large and small geometric forms.
I use tar paper to build mostly by hand. They are architectural and can be functional. I build teapots, vases, large sculptural forms . I sometimes use thrown elements to add to my constructions.
I incorporate slip methods and use incising or scraffito to add to the decoration of my pieces. I show how to avoid cracks and simple techniques which can be adapted to work with many shapes and forms.
My next workshop will be at the Art League of Long Island as part of the Potters Workshops Conference which will be held September 7-9 , 2007 . There will be other artists demonstrating various techniques and methods of working with clay.
I will also be curating a small show in the gallery. Ceramic work done by the presenters and assistants will be on display and for sale .

“JOURNEYS IN CLAY “ is a exhibition of ceramic work which I curated . It is in the Greene County Council on the Arts Mountain Top Gallery in Windham , NY.
A wonderful show with a variety of work done by artists from several states as well as local artists i n the Catskill area of New York.
Some of my work is available in the lovely Windham gallery as well as in the Catskill Mountain Foundation gallery in nearby Hunter, New York.

Come and see me at my open studio in Jewett , New York. I will be at my studio along with three other artists as part ot the Windham Arts Alliance - ArtFest. The dates are August 11-12, 2007. 11AM to 4 PM.
The other artists are: Lisajoy Sachs- Jewelry. Tracie Max Sachs- Jewelry, Photography. and Sheila Trautman- Watercolor Paintings. E mail me at ruth@ruthsachs.us for further info. RS